History

In the 19th and 20th centuries representatives of over 70 nationalities came to Brazil with the dream of “making America”. They have landed in Brazil wishing to remake their lives working in coffee plantations and in the industry of São Paulo. Since then, they have brought significant contributions to the history and cultural background of the country. A set of inheritances such as surnames, accents, customs, cuisine and clothing are to the present day significant traces of this process.
Opened in 1887, the Immigrant Inn became the main site for the newly arrived foreigners to stay.

Therefore, the former Inn building – now the headquarters of the Immigration Museum – was the scenario of expectations, achievements and anxieties of over 2.5 million people who comprised an intense ethnic intermingling between 1887 and 1978.
Throughout its 91 years, the Inn received and referred immigrants to new jobs. In order to do this, the building had an Official Colonization and Labor Agency. In addition to accommodations, a medical service center with pharmacy and a laboratory for analyzes have been created, in addition to a post and telegraph office, laundry, kitchen, dining services and a dental care sector.
Especially during the 1930s, the Immigrant Inn also began hosting migrant workers from other Brazilian states. In the 1970s, it lost its original function and in 1978 it received for the first time a group of Korean immigrants, just before ending its activities.

TimelineScroll the page to track year to year or select a year directly from the timeline below

1886

Start of building construction.

1887

Still unfinished, the Inn hosts the first immigrants.

1892

The Inn is linked to the newly created Department of Agriculture, Trade and Public Works.

1905

The Department of Lands, Colonization and Immigration (DTCI) is established and now manages the Inn.

1924

The Department of Public Safety uses some facilities of the Inn as political prison during the Revolution of 1924.

1932

The Inn is occupied by government forces and used as prison for supporters of then-president Getúlio Vargas during the Constitutionalist Movement.

1936

The building undergoes renovations, having some of its original features changed.

1939

The Department of Lands, Colonization and Immigration (DTCI) is transformed into the Immigration and Colonization Service (SIC).

1952

Start of new works in the Inn building.

1967/68

With the creation of the State Department of Social Promotion the Inn is named Department of Migrants (DM).

1978

Shutdown of Immigrant Inn.

1982

The architectural complex is listed by the Defense Council of Historic, Archeological, Artistic and Tourist Heritage (Condephaat).

1986

Creation of the Historic Center of Immigrant, linked to the State Secretariat of Social Promotion.

1993

Creation of the Immigration Museum that, subordinate to the State Secretariat of Culture, now manages the collection of the Historical Center of the Immigrant.

1996

1st Immigrant Fest.

1998

Creation of the Memorial of Immigrant.

2010

Start of renovation of former Immigrant Inn building. The Memorial of Immigrant is now called Immigration Museum.

2014

Opening of the new Immigration Museum of the State of São Paulo.